New Mexico CASA
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) are volunteers appointed to advocate for the best interests, safety and well-being of children who are removed from their homes due to abuse and/or neglect. CASA volunteers are advocates—empowered directly by the courts— who offer judges the critical information they need to ensure that each child’s rights and needs are being attended to while in foster care.
While others may come and go, CASA volunteers provide a constant, well-informed voice because they commit to watching over the child until that child is safe with a forever family and no longer in foster care. CASA volunteers spend significantly more time with these children than professionals who are assigned to the case.
CASA advocacy works! Children with a CASA volunteer
- receive more court ordered services – as do their parents.
- are more likely to have their treatment needs, educational needs and family visitation needs met.
- are significantly less likely to spend time in long term foster care.
- are HALF as likely to re-enter the foster care system once their case closes. 1
NMCAN operates New Mexico CASA which partners with local CASA programs to provide resources, networking, training, technical assistance, management support and public outreach materials to programs across the state.
NM CASA supports local programs through:
- Collaborative Network Building
- Development Opportunities for Boards of Directors of nonprofits that operate CASA programs in New Mexico
- Training for CASA staff statewide
- Centralized Data Collection
- Quality Assurance and Assistance in Maintaining Compliance with National CASA Standards
- Programmatic and Managerial Technical Assistance
If you are interested in becoming a CASA volunteer, contact the CASA office near you:
New Mexico Kids Matter
505-903-0305 | www.nmkidsmatter.org
CHINS – CASA
Carlsbad & Artesia
Eddy County CASA
575-887-5966 (Carlsbad) | 575-746-6077 (Artesia) | www.eddycountycasa.org
Curry & Roosevelt County CASA (Family and Children Court Services)
Deming & Silver City
Luna & Grant County CASA (Luna County Community Health & Well Being Department)
575-567-1183 (Deming) | 575-388-4747 (Silver City)
San Juan County CASA
505-325-5358 | www.childhavennm.org
Cibola County CASA
CASA of Lea County
575-393-0015 | www.casaofleacounty.org
Mesilla Valley CASA
575-527-0035 | www.mvcasa.com
Fourth Judicial District CASA
505-454-0223 | www.casaflurthnm.org
Sandoval County CASA
877-358-8249 | www.casasandoval.org
Chaves County CASA
575-625-0112 | www.casakids.org
Santa Fe & Rio Arriba
CASA, First Judicial District
Taos & Raton
575-758-0106 (Taos)| 575-445-2400 (Raton) | www.youthheartline.org
Truth or Consequences, Socorro, Torrance County
Rio Grande Valley CASA
575-884-4437 (T or C) | 575-838-4031 (Socorro) | 505-384-2880 (Torrance County)